Daily Chatpat: For more news, links and chatpat: do visit www.nepalcares.com
Today's Chatpat: September 20th, 2023
1. Today is Constitution Day here in Nepal. Our constitution is half-baked and it will stay that way until someone gets a two-third majority in the parliament to make some changes in it. The PM is having fun in New York. He does need his monthly vacation in foreign land to get away from all the stress of Nepali politics. It seems that the constitution is only for the common citizens while our lawmakers can bend it and even violate it for their own personal and political benefits.
2. Canada-India war of words and showing red cards to each others' diplomats is making news in our region. India needs to understand that those protesting in Canada are now Canadian citizens and they do have the freedom of speech and assembly in Canada unlike in our SAARC region where those in power will shut you up or bulldoze your homes if necessary to keep you quiet, scared and running for your lives.
I think India should question the US on why it continues to fund the Pakistani military and steals away the best of the best Indian brains by offering them millions of dollars in salaries and perks to work for Western companies. India should also cut all ties with China so that it can stop the trade deficit bleeding with the Chinese which now amounts to more than US$70 billion per year. Just banning Chinese apps is more of a circus act than actually dealing with the Indo-China border conflicts.
3. Zelensky is at the UN, trying to scare the West that the war with Russia will come to their lands soon if Ukraine is not armed, funded and given everything to fight Putin. The West knows very well that it is using Ukraine as an experiment with Russia for future conflicts. NATO knows it very well. Zelensky's government is corrupt as hell and the West knows that very well as well. It's the ordinary Ukrainians who are suffering in this whole conflict.
4. Russell Brand is getting cancelled by his management company, YouTube, BBC and more after sexual allegations surfaced against the Comedian. Western media has even a gone a little too far to blame Kundalini Yoga, calling it a cult and the reason behind rape and harassment of women. Rape is a crime and I won't be surprised if Brand goes to jail when this case is over.
5. Disney plans to invest US$60 billion in ten years in its parks and cruises. Our GDP Is a meager US$36 billion. Maybe, we should ask the Disney people to visti Nepal and invest all that money in the country by building theme parks and maybe Everest joy-rides so that we can attract hundreds of millions of tourists because we should know by now that we can't compete with the Chinese and the Indians when it comes to manufacturing anything. With more than 5 millions youth abroad, we are even finding it difficult to find people for farm work. No wonder, we spend billions of dollars on buying rice, dal and other daily essentials from India.